I broke my cardinal rule and did not read the reviews before making this recipe. I made them as directed in the recipe and it was an Epic Fail! The cookie batter was too thin. It was more like cake batter - so I had to add more flour to make it thick enough to hold its shape on the cookie sheet. The filling was way too thin. So, as previous raters had indicated, it slid right off the cookies. In the end, we ate a few of the cookies with the drippy filling, then threw the rest out. Too bad, they were supposed to be for a work Christmas party.
Mini Whoopie Pies
They're heart-healthy! We used unsweetened applesauce and vegetable oil, not vegetable shortening.
More From Health
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 120mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or table salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 teaspoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup marshmallow crème
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1. To make cookies: Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt); stir well with whisk until there are no lumps. In a separate bowl, combine applesauce and next 6 ingredients (through vanilla); stir well with whisk. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- 2. Using a tablespoon measure, spoon 32 cookies about 2 inches apart on 2 parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until the cookies are puffed and set (8-10 minutes). Let sit on hot pans 2 minutes; cool completely on wire rack.
- 3. To make filling: Combine marshmallow crème and butter in a medium bowl. Beat with a hand mixer at medium-high speed; gradually stir in powdered sugar, then vanilla. Beat at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. (Note: Makes 3/4 cup filling.)
- 4. To assemble pies: Sandwich cooled cookies with 3/4 tablespoon filling.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note