My family didnt want the pasta and sauce so I just made the meatballs. They tasted very fresh with all the herbs. I added extra black pepper and a bit of cayenne. My oven was already on so I baked them at 325 degrees until browned, turning once. Very tasty!
Mini Turkey Meatballs with Wagon Wheel Pasta
Put a twist on classic spaghetti and meatballs with this to-die-for dish. Turkey meatballs and fun wagon wheel pasta sprinkled with fresh Parmesan cheese is the perfect combination for any pasta lover.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 35 Minutes
- Calories: 363
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 26.9g
- Carbohydrate: 44.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 510mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 12 ounces uncooked wagon wheel pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 pounds 97% lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (25.5-ounce) jar organic pasta sauce
- 2 ounces finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and place in a large bowl; keep warm.
- 2. While pasta cooks, combine breadcrumbs and milk. Let stand 5 minutes; squeeze out excess milk, and place in a large bowl. Add turkey, parsley, basil, 1 tablespoon oil, and next 5 ingredients (through garlic). Gently shape meat mixture into 48 (1-inch) balls (do not pack).
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add half of meatballs to pan. Cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining meatballs. Return all meatballs to pan. Stir in 1/2 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in pasta sauce; cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for an additional 3 minutes. Pour over pasta, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Kids Can Help: With clean hands, kids can shape the meatballs.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note