Mini Spiced Pumpkins
Demented and delicious recipe for a Fright Night Feast. These spice cakes look like tiny pumpkins when covered with an orange glaze and topped with a piece of dark licorice, twisted to look like a stem. Recipe from Grace Parisi and published in Food & Wine: October, 2011.
- MINI PUMPKINS
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/3 cup(s) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- Orange food coloring
- Twelve 3-inch piece(s) of brown or black licorice twists, twisted
- 1. MAKE THE MINI PUMPKINS Preheat the oven to 350° and coat a 12-cup mini Bundt cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the butter with the granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and the sour cream in 2 alternating batches. Spoon the batter into the prepared Bundt cups. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes, until the cakes are risen. Let cool slightly, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- 2. MAKE THE GLAZE In a bowl, whisk the sugar, butter and water. Stir in the food coloring until it’s a pumpkin shade. Pour the glaze over the pumpkins, spreading it gently to cover them completely; let dry. Stick a licorice piece on top of each cake to make a stem.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note