Mini-Spanakopitas (Greek Spinach Pies)
Make an easy Greek appetizer recipe that's sure to please your guests.
"I like to make individual bundles and serve them as appetizers or as an accompaniment to a fish or meat dish for dinner. They taste best with fresh spinach. You can prepare the filling well ahead of time and keep it in the fridge." Cooking Light Reader
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 43
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 4g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 147mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 5 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare filling, place spinach in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Place over medium heat; cook until spinach wilts. Place the spinach mixture in a colander, pressing until barely moist. Combine the spinach and cheeses in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green onions; sauté for 2 minutes or until soft. Stir the green onions and the next 5 ingredients (green onions through 2 egg whites) into spinach mixture.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 egg white in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, cut each sheet lengthwise into 4 (3 1/2-inch-wide) strips; lightly brush phyllo sheet with egg mixture (cover the remaining phyllo dough to keep it from drying). Spoon about 1 tablespoon spinach mixture onto one end of each strip. Fold one corner of the opposite end over mixture, forming a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to the end of strip.
- Place triangles, seam sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note