These cupcakes were delicious. I used only 1/4 cup of butter and they still tasted great. I really love how the pumpkin puree really softened the middle and the outside was crispy.
Mini Pumpkin-Molasses Cakes
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
Yield: Makes 4 pumpkins
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 34 Minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Caramel-Rum Glaze*
- Or Vanilla Glaze
- Caramel Stems, Leaves, and Vines (optional, instructions below)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Add egg, beating until blended. Add canned pumpkin and molasses, beating well.
- 2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to pumpkin mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Spoon into a lightly greased pumpkin-shaped muffin pan, filling three-fourths full.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 24 to 26 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 4. Cut rounded tops off muffins to make them flat. Invert top muffins onto bottom muffins, forming pumpkins. Drizzle glaze over pumpkins. Decorate with Caramel Stems, Leaves, and Vines, if desired.
- CARAMEL STEM: Press 1 caramel between fingers, lengthening to 1 1/2 to 2 inches to form a stem. Curl stem gently.
- CARAMEL LEAVES: Roll caramels into 2-inch squares on a flat surface, using a rolling pin. Cut into leaves, using a paring knife. Gently press tips of leaves to flatten, if desired. Score leaves, using a paring knife. Pinch bottoms of leaves together.
- CARAMEL VINES: Cut 1 caramel into 3 equal pieces. Squeeze each piece gently to flatten, and roll between hands or on a flat surface into a long thin rope. Twist ends to curl.
- *Vanilla Glaze may be substituted.
- Note: We tested with Wilton Dimensions Multi-Cavity Mini Pumpkin Pan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads