I made these for a birthday party and they were a big hit. These sandwiches are sooooo good. The pickle slices need to be pretty thin. I bought dill pickle slices and then halved them horizontally. Very thinly sliced cheese on the top and bottom will help hold the sandwich together.
Mini Pumpernickel Grilled-Cheese and Pickle Sandwiches
In the Netherlands (and at the Winchester Cheese Company), cheese is often served with pickles on the side; they're great together. Prep and Cook Time: about 20 minutes. Notes: To cook large batches for a party, assemble the sandwiches through step 1 a few hours before cooking and chill them on a baking sheet, wrapped in plastic wrap. Before serving, brush melted butter onto the outsides of the sandwiches and broil on a baking sheet, turning once.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 103
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 4.6g
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 7.4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 437mg
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- 24 slices cocktail-size pumpernickel bread
- 4 ounces aged gouda cheese (such as Winchester Sharp), sliced thin
- 2 dill pickles, sliced thin, or about 1 cup dill pickle slices, blotted dry with paper towels
- 1/8 pound thin-sliced smoked ham, cut to fit on pumpernickel slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. On each of 12 slices of bread, arrange a layer of gouda slices, cover with a layer of pickle slices, and top with a slice of ham. Top ham with another slice or two of cheese and cover with a piece of bread.
- 2. Divide butter between two large frying pans and heat over medium heat until butter melts and foam subsides. Divide sandwiches between pans and cook, turning once, until cheese is melted and each side is crisp, about 3 minutes per side.
- 3. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per mini sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This