1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a mini scone pan.
2. In a bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles. pea-size crumbs.
3. Transfer to a large bowl, add the currants and stir to mix. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, cream and orange zest until blended and add to the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir to form large, moist clumps of dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press together with your hands until the dough comes together. Roll out the dough, flouring as needed into a 9 inch square about 3/4 inch thick.
5. Cut into 4 equal size squares, then cut each square diagonally into 4 triangles. Press each triangle into a well of the prepared pan. Sprinkle each scone lightly with sugar. Bake until the scones are golden, about 25 minutes.
6. Invert the pan onto a wire rack and lift off the pan. Let the scones cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Go to full version of