- The salsa:
- 4 small ripe tomatoes, cored and finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tsp. minced fresh jalapeño
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- The meat loaves:
- 1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup jarred tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- Whites from 3 large eggs
- The potatoes:
- 2 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- calories 567
- fat 24 g
- satfat 7 g
- protein 45 g
- carbohydrate 42 g
- fiber 6 g
- cholesterol 60 mg
- sodium 840 mg
How to Make It
Combine tomato, onion, jalapeño, garlic and salt in a medium bowl; mix well (To make salsa ahead, prepare to this point; cover with plastic wrap and chill, for up to 1 day, until ready to serve.) Stir in cilantro.
Prepare grill. Put ground beef, tomato sauce, bread crumbs and egg whites in a large bowl. Mix with hands or a wooden spoon until well blended. Divide mixture into 4 portions and pat into ovals about 2/3 inch thick.
Grill meat loaves over medium flame, turning once or twice, until nicely charred and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
While meat cooks, slice potatoes 1/4 inch thick; rinse and pat dry. Brush potato slices on both sides with olive oil and grill, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 12 minutes. Sprinkle with salt.
Spoon salsa on loaves; serve with potato slices.