- 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled
- 1 small sweet onion
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup unsalted matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt to taste (optional)
- Salmon-Olive Relish
- Garnish: green onion curls
How to Make It
Grate potatoes and onion through large holes on a box grater. Pat grated potatoes and onion dry with paper towels.
Place potatoes and onion in a large bowl. Stir in lightly beaten eggs and next 3 ingredients.
Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot canola oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat; cook 2 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain latkes on paper towels, and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste, if desired. Top each latke with 1 tsp. Salmon-Olive Relish. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: To keep latkes warm before topping with relish, place on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Place in a 250° oven up to 30 minutes.