Mini Grits and Greens
Warm ceramic soup spoons in a 200° oven for 10 minutes before assembling.
More From Southern Living
Total: 45 Minutes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular grits
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) freshly shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 large fresh collard green leaves
- 2 small dry Spanish chorizo sausage links (about 2 3/4 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 36 porcelain tasting spoons, warmed
- 1. Bring first 3 ingredients and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat; gradually whisk in grits. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in Cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients, whisking constantly until cheese melts. Keep warm.
- 2. Rinse collard greens. Trim and discard thick stems from bottom of collard green leaves (about 2 inches). Stack collard greens on a cutting board. Tightly roll up leaves, and thinly slice into 1/8-inch strips. Quarter chorizo lengthwise, and cut into small pieces.
- 3. Sauté chorizo in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Add collard greens, vinegar, and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until greens are bright green and just tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Place about 1 Tbsp. grits onto each warm spoon, and top with collard mixture. Serve immediately.
We tested with Quijote Chorizos Caseros Home-Style Dry Sausage.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note