Mini Falafel Pocket Sandwiches
This traditional Middle-Eastern meal is a healthy and hearty choice for lunch or a heavier snack. The tahini-yogurt sauce drizzled overtop the falafel and the veggies adds a creamy texture and appetizing flavor.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 28 Minutes
- Calories: 406
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 14.3g
- Carbohydrate: 55.1g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 542mg
- Calcium: 116mg
- Tahini-Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- 2/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas, halved crosswise
- 1 cup chopped tomato (1 medium tomato)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1. To prepare Tahini-Yogurt Sauce, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- 2. To prepare falafel, combine 1 1/3 cups boiling water and bulgur in a small bowl. Cover and let stand 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 3. Drop garlic through food chute with processor on; process until minced. Add bulgur, parsley, and next 6 ingredients (through egg white); process until smooth. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- 4. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 4 patties.
- 5. Spread 1 tablespoon Tahini-Yogurt Sauce inside each pita. Fill each pita half with 2 patties. Divide tomato, cucumber, and red onion evenly among pita halves, and drizzle evenly with 1 tablespoon sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note