Mini Corn Dogs with Cranberry Mustard
The Chardonnay in a brut blend pairs well with the corn and the mustard, while the Pinot Noir builds bridges to the hot dog and the cranberry in the dip.
TIP: Make the Cranberry Mustard before you start the dogs.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 135
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 3.7g
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 378mg
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil
- 12 ounces thin hot dogs, each cut into 1 1/2-in. lengths
- Cocktail picks or toothpicks
- Cranberry Mustard (recipe follows)
- 1. Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add buttermilk, melted butter, and egg and stir just until incorporated.
- 2. Pour 1 1/2 in. oil into a frying pan and heat to about 350° on a deep-fry thermometer. Dust hot dog pieces all over with cornstarch. Using a fork, dip each piece into batter to coat and drop into oil. Fry in batches, turning as needed, until golden brown all over, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined pan and keep warm in a 200° oven until all are done.
- 3. Push a cocktail pick into an end of each mini corn dog and serve warm with Cranberry Mustard.
- Cranberry Mustard Boil 1 cup unsweetened cranberry juice in a small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup. Mix with 3/4 cup Dijon mustard and 6 tbsp. packed light brown sugar. Makes 1 cup.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per piece without mustard.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note