This cake is outstanding! Moist, rich, and sophisticated. Only a dollop of the freshest whipped cream can enhance it. The two times I've made this cake I baked it in Bundt pans. The first time I used 2 pans, a 6-cup and a 10-cup. The second time I used the 15-cup pan. Baking times at 350F: 6-cup 47min; 10-cup 57min; 15-cup 70min. I sprayed my pans with Bak-Klene ZT Nonstick Baking Spray. It sprays with a wide, fine mist, releases the cake from the pan like a dream, and leaves no nasty residue. After spraying, I coated the pans with finely-chopped toasted pecans. I usually do this when I make a Bundt cake: it adds a little extra flavor and texture, and also makes a lovely presentation. I used Maker's 46 bourbon the first time and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 2003 bourbon the second time around. The fragrance of this cake as it comes out of the oven is heavenly and we loved the flavor of the cake when it was warm. And the cake deepens its flavor when cool.
Mini Bourbon-and-Cola Bundt Cakes
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cola soft drink
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bourbon-and-Cola Glaze
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar; beat until blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat at low speed until blended.
- 2. Stir together cola, buttermilk, and bourbon in a small bowl. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in another bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Pour batter into 3 lightly greased 12-cup Bundt brownie pans, filling each three-fourths full.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool 30 minutes. Drizzle warm Bourbon-and-Cola Glaze over cakes.
- Go Big: Batter can be poured into 1 greased and floured 15-cup Bundt pan. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts