Really a wonderful recipe. I added some veggies I had on hand to the soup and it was fantastic. I cup shredded cabbage, 1 cup shredded spinach and a chopped fresh tomato. Will be making this again!!
Minestra is Italian for "soup" and this hearty bowl is filled with beans, pork and noodles. Top this outstanding soup with grated romano cheese and serve hot.
Yield: about 4 quarts
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried pinto or cranberry beans
- 1/4 pound salt pork, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces rotini or egg noodles, cooked
- Grated Romano cheese
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; soak 8 hours. Drain.
- Sauté salt pork, garlic, and salt in hot oil in Dutch oven until fat is cooked from pork. Add chopped celery, carrot, and onion, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add beans and 3 quarts water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender, adding hot water as needed to keep beans covered with liquid. Stir in peppers.
- Process half of cooked beans in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides; return to Dutch oven. Add pasta, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated. Serve with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note