- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 3 ounces grated Cheddar
- calories 353
- fat 24 g
- satfat 8 g
- protein 18 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 341 mg
- sodium 682 mg
How to Make It
Whisk together eggs, milk and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Warm vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips and cook, stirring occasionally, until strips begin to crisp, about 2 minutes. Add pepper and onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
Add egg mixture, tomato and cheese to skillet. Cook mixture, stirring with a spatula, scraping up cooked eggs and allowing liquid to flow to bottom of pan, until eggs are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
This recipe also appeared in the August 2007 issue.