I really liked this and had no flatbreads so I served it over Orzo. I like the flavors but the only problem I had was trying to puree it in the blender. Maybe it's my cheap blender but I had to add a little more water to make it smooth. It also didn't need 30 minutes to cook the eggplant, more like 15. I would definately make this again and would also serve it at room temperature with flatbreads of lavash.
Middle Eastern Eggplant Salad
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Reminiscent of baba ghanoush, this salad can be served alongside roasted or grilled meats or as a dip with crackers or flatbread.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 182
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 14.6g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0.3mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 315mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and seeded
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into (1-inch) cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and chop.
- 3. Place tomato in a blender; process until smooth. Combine tomato puree, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, ground red pepper, and garlic in a blender; process until smooth.
- 4. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add eggplant; cook 30 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in bell pepper and tomato mixture. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads