The patties were pretty flavorless despite the fact that I tried adding cumin and coriander powder after realizing that they needed more flavor. They also were falling apart in the skillet.
Middle Eastern Chickpea Miniburgers
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Tiffany Vickers
Serve each burger on a whole-grain slider bun with lettuce, crisp radish slices, roasted red bell pepper, and canola-based mayonnaise. Two burgers per person!
Yield: 3 servings (serving size: 2 patties)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 308
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 32.9g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 716mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 1 (8-ounce) red potato
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1. Place potato in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop, and place in medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil and garlic to bowl; mash potato mixture with a potato masher until slightly chunky. Remove 3 tablespoons chickpeas; place in a small bowl. Add remaining chickpeas to potato mixture; mash until well blended. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons whole chickpeas, parsley, and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide mixture into 6 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottoms are golden and patties are set. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 3 patties.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches