Middle Eastern Bread Salad with Chicken
Pita bread and crisp chicken star in this main-course Middle Eastern Bread Salad with Chicken.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 382
- Fat: 18.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Sodium: 603mg
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk, divided
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups torn whole-wheat pita
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup torn basil
- 1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Combine 1/2 cup buttermilk and egg white in a shallow dish. Place panko in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg white mixture; dredge in panko. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 3. Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add canola oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken. Cook 4 minutes; turn over. Bake at 425° for 14 minutes or until done. Let chicken stand 10 minutes; slice crosswise.
- 4. Combine pita, cherry tomato halves, basil, onion, and olives in a large bowl. Combine vinegar, Dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add olive oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over pita mixture; toss to coat. Arrange about 1 1/2 cups salad on each of 6 plates; divide sliced chicken evenly among servings. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note