Easy and delicious
Michelle's Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits
Local ingredients make Michelle's Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits--from freshly-caught shrimp to stone-ground grits with herbs, butter, and "a little love" stirred in. Chef Weaver suggests using Anson Mills grits.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 35 Minutes
- 2 cups uncooked white coarse-ground grits
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- SHRIMP SAUCE
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (2 8/31 count)
- 4 thick hickory-smoked bacon slices, diced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium-size Vidalia onion, diced
- 1/2 poblano pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Madeira
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1. Prepare Grits: Bring 7 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits; reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until tender. Fold in cheese and 1/4 cup butter.
- 2. Prepare Shrimp Sauce: Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
- 3. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
- 4. Melt 6 Tbsp. butter in hot drippings in skillet. Reduce heat. Add onion, poblano pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add shrimp; cook, stirring often, 1 to 2 minutes. Add salt and next 2 ingredients; toss to coat.
- 5. Sprinkle flour over shrimp mixture; toss. Add broth and next 2 ingredients. Cook just until shrimp turn pink, stirring to loosen particles from skillet. Stir in bacon and parsley. Serve over grits with green onion.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes