Michael's Beef and Noodles
"Homemade version of Beefaroni is fresher, meatier" by Michael Hastings. Ground beef and macaroni in a tomato sauce: weeknight dinner that takes less than 30 minutes. A little sugar in the sauce -- not enough to taste sweet -- enhances the flavors and adds to the kid appeal. This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings. Winston-Salem Journal: November 21, 2012.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 8 ounce(s) (2 cups) uncooked macaroni
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 pound(s) ground beef
- Black pepper
- 2 16-ounce can(s) tomato sauce or 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) grated Parmesan, cheddar or other cheese
- 1. Bring a pot of about 3 quarts water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the macaroni. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is just slightly underdone, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook grated onion with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add garlic, beef, about 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Start breaking up clumps of beef, and cook 2 minutes. While beef is still mostly uncooked, add tomato sauce and sugar and gently continue to break up clumps. Add about ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and gently simmer about 10 minutes until beef has cooked, sauce has thickened and flavors have blended.
- 3. Taste beef mixture and add more salt, pepper and sugar if desired. Reduce heat to low and stir in drained macaroni. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes until pasta is al dente. If sauce gets too thick, stir in a couple of tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Stir half of the cheese into the beef mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on individual servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note