Mexican Tortilla Soup
More From Health
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 29g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 522mg
- Calcium: 302mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, trimmed and diced
- 1 cup prechopped onion (find at the salad bar)
- 1 cup prechopped green bell pepper (find at the salad bar)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed baked tortilla chips (such as Tostitos)
- 1/2 cup preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 6 lime wedges (about 1 1/2 limes)
- 1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook, stirring often, 3-4 minutes or until browned. Remove to plate, and cover.
- 2. In the same pan, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil on medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in cumin, chili powder, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- 3. Return the chicken and juices to the pan and simmer 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cilantro.
- 4. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Serve hot, with a lime wedge on the side.
- Andrea's wine pick: You can't go wrong with a tangy, herbaceous New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc to match the lively cilantro and lime flavors in the soup. Look for Drylands Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 2006 ($15).
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note