- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and halved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (32-oz.) container reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 4 green onions (white part only), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco (fresh Mexican cheese)
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Brush 1 side of tortillas with 1 Tbsp. oil; cut tortillas in half. Stack tortilla halves, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Arrange strips in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake 15 minutes or until golden, stirring halfway through. Cool.
Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over high heat 2 minutes. Add tomato halves, and cook, turning occasionally, 10 minutes or until charred on all sides. (Tomatoes may stick.) Transfer to a food processor.
Sauté onion in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer onion mixture to food processor with tomatoes; process until smooth.
Cook tomato mixture in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in broth and tomato juice. Add bay leaf and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
Add chicken; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is done.
Discard bay leaf. Stir in green onions and next 2 ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Divide queso fresco among 4 to 6 soup bowls; top with tortilla strips. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with avocado.