Mexican Tomatillo Avocado Soup
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Kevin Crafts
This tart twist on the country's classic shrimp cocktail uses tomatillos in place of tomatoes.
Yield: Serves 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 111
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 3.8g
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 58mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- About 2 tbsp. lime juice
- About 2 tsp. green hot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1. Chop tomatillos coarsely. Purée half each of tomatillos, onion, and broth in a blender with garlic. Rub through a fine strainer into a stainless steel bowl; discard contents of strainer. Finely chop remaining tomatillos. Add remaining tomatillos, onion, and broth; cucumber; 2 tbsp. lime juice; 2 tsp. hot sauce; and the oregano to bowl and stir.
- 2. Nest bowl in ice water; stir often until cold, 15 minutes. Add avocado and cilantro and, if you like, more lime juice and hot sauce.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This