- 1 1/4 pounds tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- About 2 tbsp. lime juice
- About 2 tsp. green hot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- calories 111
- caloriesfromfat 52 %
- protein 3.8 g
- fat 6.5 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- carbohydrate 12 g
- fiber 4.2 g
- sodium 58 mg
- cholesterol 10 mg
How to Make It
Chop tomatillos coarsely. Purée half each of tomatillos, onion, and broth in a blender with garlic. Rub through a fine strainer into a stainless steel bowl; discard contents of strainer. Finely chop remaining tomatillos. Add remaining tomatillos, onion, and broth; cucumber; 2 tbsp. lime juice; 2 tsp. hot sauce; and the oregano to bowl and stir.
Nest bowl in ice water; stir often until cold, 15 minutes. Add avocado and cilantro and, if you like, more lime juice and hot sauce.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1-cup serving.