- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 chicken legs (about 2 lbs.)
- 3 poblano peppers, sliced
- 8 ounces cooked chorizo, halved crosswise
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans or pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 3 chopped canned chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 Tbsp. sauce
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup panko
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish, optional
- calories 524
- fat 28 g
- satfat 7 g
- protein 33 g
- carbohydrate 33 g
- fiber 7 g
- cholesterol 112 mg
- sodium 1281 mg
How to Make It
In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, turning once, about 8 minutes total. Drain on paper towels and transfer to slow cooker. In the same skillet, cook poblano peppers, stirring, until golden in spots, about 3 minutes; add to slow cooker. Add chorizo, beans, chipotles, adobo sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper and 1/2 the chopped garlic to slow cooker. Stir together, cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through, about 4 hours.
Once chicken is cooked, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add panko and remaining garlic. Cook, stirring, until mixture is golden and crispy, about 3 minutes.
Serve stew topped with panko mixture. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.