very disappointed, mine turned out a greasy mess. They were so fragile they broke just removing from pan, even after cooling.
Mexican Spiced Shortbread Cookies
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 125
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 14.5g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 85mg
- Calcium: 11mg
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 36 small pecan halves
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. To prepare cookies, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, and next 4 ingredients (through ancho chile powder) in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 3. Place 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add oil; beat 3 minutes or until well blended. Gradually add 3/4 cup powdered sugar; beat well. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed until well blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- 4. Shape dough into 36 balls. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten cookies to 1/4 inch thickness. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack; cool completely.
- 5. To prepare icing, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and milk; cook 1 minute or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- 6. To prepare nuts, combine 1 teaspoon brown sugar, sea salt, and 1 teaspoon butter in a medium bowl. Arrange pecans on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes or until toasted. Add hot pecans to butter mixture, tossing well to coat. Cool.
- 7. Spread 1 teaspoon icing over each cookie; top each with 1 pecan half.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Mexican Spiced Shortbread Cookies Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts