Mexican Shrimp-and-Avocado Salad with Tortilla Chips
Photo: Christina Holmes
This recipe is loosely based on fattoush, a Middle Eastern salad in which toasted bread is moistened by other ingredients, like tomatoes and cucumbers. Here, tortilla chips soak up the delicious salad juices.
More From Food & Wine
- 1 pound (medium) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 romaine hearts, coarsely shredded
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (small) seedless cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 4 ounces (about 4 cups) tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. Blanch the shrimp just until white throughout, 3 minutes. Drain and chill the shrimp in the ice water, then drain again and pat dry. Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl. Add the romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream with the mayonnaise, lime juice and lime zest and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat. Serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads