Mexican Pocket Bread Tostadas
Notes: Strips of grilled chicken or beef, available in supermarket meat sections, add low-fat protein to this quick take on a tostada.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 487
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 74g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sodium: 2078mg
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- 4 pocket breads (6 to 6 1/2 in.)
- 1 can (16 oz.) nonfat refried beans
- 6 ounces sliced grilled chicken breast or sliced grilled tender beef steak (see notes)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (7 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 cup (1/4 lb.) shredded light or regular Mexican blend cheese or shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- About 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Arrange pocket breads slightly apart on a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet. Spread 1/4 of the beans evenly on each round.
- 2. Top beans equally with chicken, onion, chilies, and cheese.
- 3. Bake in a 425° regular or convection oven until pocket breads are crisp and cheese is melted, about 8 minutes (6 minutes in a convection oven). Transfer each round to a plate. Mound cabbage equally on rounds and top with cilantro. Serve tostadas with salsa and salt and pepper to add to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note