Mexican Pasta Salad
Notes: Start heating water for pasta in a covered pan before assembling the rest of the ingredients. This salad can be served as a hot entrée by simply omitting the cooling step for the cooked pasta.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 222
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Protein: 8.7g
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Sodium: 92mg
- Cholesterol: 1.3mg
- 8 ounces dried fusilli or rotelle pasta
- 6 green onions, ends trimmed
- 3 Roma tomatoes (about 1/2 lb. total)
- 2 fresh jalapeño chilies
- 1 red bell pepper (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (8 1/2 oz.) reduced-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta, uncovered, in 3 to 4 quarts boiling water until tender to bite, about 12 minutes. Drain, then rinse with cold water until cool; drain well.
- 2. While pasta cooks, chop the green onions and Roma tomatoes. Stem, seed, and mince jalapeños. Stem, seed, and cut the bell pepper into thin, short slivers.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, bell pepper, cilantro, and beans. Add the vinegar, oil, and cheese; mix well. Transfer to a serving platter. If desired, add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note