Mexican Meatball Soup
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 3 flour tortillas, cut into 1- x 1/8-inch strips
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 beef-flavored bouillon cubes
- Combine meat, tortilla strips, egg, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, pepper, and garlic in a medium mixing bowl; mix well. Shape mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Brown meatballs in oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat; set aside, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion in drippings until tender; drain off drippings and discard. Add water, tomatoes, green chiles, cilantro, bouillon cubes, and remaining cumin to Dutch oven Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Return meatballs to Dutch oven, and cook an additional 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve immediately in warm soup bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This