Mexican Meat Mix
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) boneless pork roast, trimmed
- 1 cup water
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce) jar mild green salsa
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place roasts and 1 cup water in a 6-quart pressure cooker.
- Cover cooker with lid, and seal securely; place pressure control over vent and tube. Cook over high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until pressure control rocks quickly back and forth. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 40 minutes. (Pressure control will rock occasionally.)
- Remove from heat; run cold water over cooker to reduce pressure. Carefully remove lid so that steam escapes away from you.
- Drain meat, reserving juice. Pour juice into a fat strainer; let stand until fat rises to top. Reserve juice; discard fat. Cool meat slightly, and shred.
- Sauté onion and green chiles in hot oil in the cooker for 1 minute. Stir in green salsa and next 4 ingredients. Cook 1 minute over medium-low heat. Stir in reserved meat juice and shredded meat. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve on kaiser rolls with green salsa, if desired.
- Flautas: Pour vegetable oil to a depth of 2 inches in a large skillet; heat to 375°.
- Soften 30 corn tortillas, 1 at a time by dipping in hot oil for 2 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Place 1 tablespoon Mexican Meat Mix on bottom half of each tortilla, roll tightly. Cook, seam side down, in hot oil 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Yield: 10 servings.
- Taco Pizza: Sauté 1 sliced purple onion in 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat until tender. Stir together 3 cups Mexican Meat Mix and 1/2 cup sour cream; spread evenly over a 16-ounce Italian Bread shell. Top with onion and 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Mexican cheese blend. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; top with 1/2 cup lettuce; 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved; and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
- Stuffed Baked Potatoes: Bake 4 large baking potatoes at 450° for 1 hour or until tender. Cut potatoes in half, and scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Combine potato pulp, 4 cups Mexican Meat Mix, 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream; 3 green onions, sliced; 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro; 1 teaspoon salt; and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spoon mixture into potato shells; sprinkle with 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese with peppers. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Yield: 4 servings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note