- 4 russet potatoes (8 to 10 oz. each), scrubbed
- 1 pound ground lean beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1/4 pound (1 cup) shredded cheddar or jack cheese (or 1/8 lb. of each)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (optional)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, including green tops
- 1 can (4 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Salt and pepper
- calories 677
- caloriesfromfat 49 %
- protein 33 g
- fat 37 g
- satfat 16 g
- carbohydrate 53 g
- fiber 6.4 g
- sodium 1523 mg
- cholesterol 115 mg
How to Make It
Pierce potatoes with a fork. Cook in a microwave oven on full power (100%), turning over once, until potatoes are tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes. Or bake in a conventional oven at 400° until tender when pierced, about 45 to 55 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, stir beef until crumbled and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add chili powder to beef and stir about 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and salsa. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Spoon meat mixture equally onto cut side of each potato half, and top equally with cheese, tomato, onions, and olives. Add salt and pepper to taste.