- 1 1/2 qts. regular or low-fat milk
- 1 pt. half-and-half
- 12 in. Mexican or regular cinnamon sticks, broken into large pieces
- 2 dried chiles de árbol or other small dried chiles, torn into pieces
- Zest of 1/2 orange, removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
- 4 tablets (about 12 oz.) Mexican chocolate such as Ibarra, coarsely chopped
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- calories 375
- caloriesfromfat 47 %
- protein 9.2 g
- fat 20 g
- satfat 11 g
- carbohydrate 45 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- sodium 105 mg
- cholesterol 41 mg
How to Make It
Combine milk, half-and-half, cinnamon, chiles, zest, and chocolate in a medium pot. Scrape vanilla seeds from pods with side of a knife and add seeds and pods to pan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat, stirring often; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and steep about 15 minutes. Strain hot chocolate into a bowl, then return to pot.
Heat to steaming over medium heat, stirring. Whirl in a blender in 3 batches until frothy and pour into a pitcher or mugs. Garnish with shaved chocolate if you like.
Make ahead: Through step 1 up to 3 days, chilled.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.