This is my go to Mexican cornbread recipe. I use a small can of corn, self-rising cornmeal (omit soda and salt), the whole 8 oz. bag of cheese (cheddar is good, too), and because I rarely have buttermilk, I just use whole milk. I also use sliced jalapenos in a jar from the store. It is not sweet, the sugar just helps the tops brown, and the bacon grease is good for flavor. This recipe fills 2 "12 hole" muffin tins. My DH favorite bread recipe!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 slice(s) bacon, cooked crisp chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 6 ounce(s) Monterrey-Jack Cheese shredded
- 1 cup(s) cornmeal
- 2 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 tablespoon(s) bacon grease
- 1 cup(s) corn
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 3 large eggs slightly beaten
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add liquid ingredients and mix well. Add vegetables, cheese and bacon, stirring after each addition. Bake in greased muffin tins in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes, or until top of muffins are browned.
- Note: Good cold but you can make ahead and reheat. You can freeze the leftovers.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JoanneGreen and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note