- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 6 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- About 1 1/3 pounds red thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) low-fat vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen corn kernels
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen petite peas
- 1 or 2 cans (10 to 12 oz. each) baby clams
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- calories 252
- caloriesfromfat 10 %
- protein 18 g
- fat 2.9 g
- satfat 0.3 g
- carbohydrate 39 g
- fiber 7 g
- sodium 418 mg
- cholesterol 12 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir oil, onion, and garlic until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder and stir just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, cover, and bring to a boil.
Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes.
Add potatoes to boiling broth. Cover and return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juice, chili, corn, peas, and clams with juice, stirring to mix. Turn heat to high, cover, and return to a boil.
Add lime juice, hot sauce, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls.