For all the special ingredients, it wasn't much better than a six-minute chocolate cake. http://goo.gl/hhJNz
Mexican Chocolate Cakes
Photo: Shelly Strazis; Styling: Valerie Aikman-Smith
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 326
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 4.5g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 232mg
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- 1 cup plus 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter two 8-in. round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper cut to fit. Butter paper, then dust pans with 1/2 tbsp. cocoa.
- 2. Whisk remaining 1 cup cocoa, the flour, sugars, cinnamon, soda, cayenne, and salt in a bowl to blend. Add milk, oils, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Pour into pans, dividing batter evenly.
- 3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in each cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Loosen cakes from pans with a metal spatula. Turn out each cake onto a plate. Discard waxed paper. Invert cakes onto racks and cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over stencils onto cakes.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 day, covered; top with powdered sugar after unwrapping.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note