Mexican Chicken Soup
"Soups to Savor: Beans add nutrients and healthy, filler fiber ... and they're cheap" by Michael Hastings. Beans: lentils, pintos, black, kidney, cannellini, etc. A favorite winter soup recipe from Melissa Clayton of Kernersville, Mexican chicken soup uses kidney and black beans. Taste and simplicity: lots of color and flavor. Recipe yields 6 to 8 servings. Winston-Salem Journal: January 16, 2013.
Yield: 6 servings
Community Recipe from
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 2 10-ounce can(s) Rotel tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can(s) Rotel Mexican tomatoes (with lime and cilantro)
- 1 15-ounce can(s) whole kernel corn
- 1 15-ounce can(s) black beans
- 1 15.5-ounce can(s) kidney beans
- 2 14-ounce can(s) chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- Chopped fresh cilantro, shredded Mexican-style cheese, crushed tortilla chips (garnish)
- 1. Cook chicken and onion in oil until chicken is done. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients (except garnishes). Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Serve with fresh, chopped cilantro or with shredded, Mexican-style cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes