My family loves this recipe. I have short cut it by using rotisserie chicken. Simply bake the cornbread, poke holes in it and pour in the enchilada sauce; top with shredded chicken then cheese and bake. Very easy and delicious. Serve with a salad and sour cream - kids are happy!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
Zesty, creamy and loaded with chicken, it's no wonder why this Mexican chicken casserole is one of our top-rated recipes.
Looking for more casserole recipes? Check out this link fo find hundreds of crowd-pleasing casseroles from chicken to low-calorie to breakfast.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 369
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 35.6g
- Carbohydrate: 31.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 479mg
- Calcium: 360mg
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
- 1 3/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed (about 6 chips)
- Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 can of chiles and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles