This was so good! I gave it 4 stars because I did do some tweaking per other reviews. I seasoned my chicken before cooking with salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, chilli powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. I had thick chicken breast so they took a lot longer to cook and I had to keep adding liquid to the pan. I used 2% milk instead of evaporated milk because that's what I had on hand. I used half a can of mild enchilada sauce and half a can of hot enchilada sauce. I also added black beans and some chopped up jalapenos to the mixture. It was spicy but we like it like that! forgot the chips but that's ok because it came out very delicious!!! My boyfriend loved it too! Will definitely make again!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
Zesty, creamy and loaded with chicken, it's no wonder why this Mexican chicken casserole is one of our top-rated recipes.
Looking for more casserole recipes? Check out this link fo find hundreds of crowd-pleasing casseroles from chicken to low-calorie to breakfast.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 369
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 35.6g
- Carbohydrate: 31.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 479mg
- Calcium: 360mg
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
- 1 3/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed (about 6 chips)
- Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 can of chiles and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles