- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Garnish: fried corn tortilla strips
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add bell pepper and onion, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually add broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat.
Stir in cheese and next 4 ingredients. Simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, and simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.