Mexican Beef Stew
- 2-3 whole(s) Beef shanks (bone-in)
- 1 head(s) Cabbage (small-med) cut into 8 large pieces
- 2-3 whole(s) Zucchini of Yellow Squash cut into 2 inch rounds
- 4 ear(s) Corn on the cob each cut into 4 equal parts
- 1 stalk(s) Celery diced
- 1 whole(s) Onion diced
- 4 whole(s) Carrots cut into 1-2 inch rounds
- 4 whole(s) Potatoes cut into quarters
- 4 clove(s) Garlic halved
- Drizzle large heavy pot with some vegetable oil and brown shanks.
- Add about 8 cups of water to make broth and cook shanks.
- Add cut corn cobs, celery, garlic and half of the diced onion.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer until meat is coming off bone. Season with salt.
- Once meat is cooked, add the following in 10 minute intervals.
- Cabbage and carrots, then potatoes and zucchini/squash last.
- Add more water to broth if needed and adjust salt and add black pepper to taste.
- Serve in large bowls with lime juice and a dash of cayanne pepper if desired.
- Delicious with corn tortillas hot off the griddle.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MrsM2000 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note