- 10 pounds PEI mussels, cleaned
- 1 pound lap xuong (Chinese sausage), medium diced
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 bottle chardonnay
- 4 ounces garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 Thai chilies, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
How to Make It
Pour chardonnay in a large saucepan and cook until reduced by half. Add coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Return mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until ready to use.
In a large Dutch oven cook Chinese sausage over medium heat until rendered and golden brown. Add garlic and ginger and saute 2 minutes. Add chilies and lemongrass and saute for 1 more minute. Add mussels and enough chardonnay broth to come halfway up the mussels. Cover and steam until mussels pop open.
Discard any mussels that do not open. Sprinkle mussels with scallions just before serving.
NOTE: This recipe can be cut in half for 10 servings.