- 1/2 cup achiote oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ají panca paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups shrimp or fish stock
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 pound medium yellow potatoes, peeled (about 6)
- 2 corn ears, cut in thick slices
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup queso fresco, diced
- 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or as needed)
- 6 fried eggs, as garnish
- Parsley sprigs to garnish
How to Make It
Heat the achiote oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, and sauté until golden. Add tomato paste and continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the shrimp stock, and bring to a boil, skimming the stock every few minutes.
Turn the heat to medium low, add rice and simmer for 15 minutes. Add potatoes and corn, and continue simmering until the potatoes are tender, then add the peeled shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes. Add milk, salt, and pepper, and turn off the heat. Add cheese and green peas.
Heat the tablespoon of oil in a skillet and fry the eggs, one by one, sunny side up.
In each plate put some shrimp with rice, one or two potatoes, cheese cubes, green peas, and the hot soup around this. Top with a fried egg and garnish with parsley and 2 large shrimps. Serve immediately.