- OUR BAY SEASONING BLEND:
- 1 dried shiitake mushroom
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon piment d’Espelette
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- WAFFLE BATTER:
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups pilsner or ale of your choice
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs tarragon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, sliced
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Our Bay Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Tabasco sauce, for seasoning
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked through for shells and cartilage
- 6 to 8 poached eggs, for serving
How to Make It
Warm maple syrup, for serving
Make the Our Bay Seasoning Blend:
Place all of the ingredients except the salt in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the salt. If you have weighed the ingredients correctly, the mixture should
be in between orange and brown in color and will be so delicious you’ll want to put it on everything. Our Bay can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 year.
Make the Waffle Batter:
Put the water, yeast, and salt in a measuring cup and stir to combine. Put the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Add the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and yeast mixture and whisk until just combined. Whisk in the melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature for 1½ to 2 hours, until it doubles in size.
Make the Beer-naise:
Put the beer, vinegar, shallot, and tarragon in a medium saucepot set over high heat.
Bring to a simmer, adjust the heat to maintain a simmer, and reduce by half, about 15 minutes. Strain the mixture into a measuring cup.
Put the butter in a small pot set over medium heat and melt, stirring occasionally. Once the butter has melted, remove from the heat and keep in a warm spot on the stove. Put the egg yolks into a blender and start on medium speed. Blend until the yolks turn pale yellow and the outside of the blender feels warm. Drizzle in the beer reduction and puree until it is fully absorbed. Drizzle in the melted butter and puree until fully absorbed. Add the Our Bay Seasoning and salt, and then add lemon juice and Tabasco sauce to taste. Turn off the blender and transfer the sauce to a bowl.
The Beer-naise sauce should be luscious and fluffy. Keep warm until ready to use.
Make the Waffles:
Fold half of the crabmeat into the waffle batter. Cook in a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions. Top each waffle with a spoonful of the remaining lump crabmeat, a poached egg, and Beer-naise, and serve with warm maple syrup alongside.