- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 12 oz.)
- 3 (1-lb.) packages fresh collard greens, washed, trimmed, and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup diced jarred jalapeño peppers, drained (optional)
- Pepper sauce
How to Make It
Melt butter with oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add ham hock, and gently stir.
Add half of collards and 2 cups water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add remaining collards and 8 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 2 hours. Stir in jalapeño peppers, if desired. Add table salt and black pepper to taste, and serve with pepper sauce.