Mesa Verde Breakfast Burrito
Photo: James Carrier
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 714
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 39g
- Fat: 44g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 1502mg
- Cholesterol: 449mg
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 10 large eggs
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 flour tortillas (10 in.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (1/2 lb.)
- Chili con queso salsa
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir sausage, onion, and chilies until meat is crumbled and browned, about 15 minutes. Drain off and discard fat.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs to blend with 1/3 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Pour eggs into meat mixture in frying pan; with a wide spatula, stir over medium-high heat, scraping pan bottom often, until eggs are set to your taste, about 3 minutes for creamy eggs.
- 3. Lay flour tortillas flat on a counter. Spoon an equal portion of the meat and egg mixture in a band down the center of each tortilla to within 1 inch of opposite edges. Sprinkle mixture evenly with cheese. To form each burrito, fold the bare 1-inch-wide tortilla edges over filling, then roll snugly from an open edge to enclose. Set burritos slightly apart, seams down, in a 10- by 15-inch pan; seal pan with foil. If making up to 1 day ahead, chill.
- 4. Bake in a 200° oven until cheese is melted (cut a slit to test), 15 to 20 minutes; if chilled, bake in a 325° oven until hot in the center, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Set burritos on plates and ladle about 1/2 cup hot chili con queso salsa on and around each. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch