Mesa Verde Breakfast Burrito
Notes: Use fresh tortillas; stale ones will crack. You can also heat the burritos 1 at a time on a microwave-safe plate: Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap and heat in a microwave oven on full power (100%) until hot, about 1 1/2 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 714
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 39g
- Fat: 44g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 1502mg
- Cholesterol: 449mg
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 10 large eggs
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 flour tortillas (10 in.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (1/2 lb.)
- Chili con queso salsa
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir sausage, onion, and chilies until meat is crumbled and browned, about 15 minutes. Drain off and discard fat.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs to blend with 1/3 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Pour eggs into meat mixture in frying pan; with a wide spatula, stir over medium-high heat, scraping pan bottom often, until eggs are set to your taste, about 3 minutes for creamy eggs.
- 3. Lay flour tortillas flat on a counter. Spoon an equal portion of the meat and egg mixture in a band down the center of each tortilla to within 1 inch of opposite edges. Sprinkle mixture evenly with cheese. To form each burrito, fold the bare 1-inch-wide tortilla edges over filling, then roll snugly from an open edge to enclose. Set burritos slightly apart, seams down, in a 10- by 15-inch pan; seal pan with foil. If making up to 1 day ahead, chill.
- 4. Bake in a 200° oven until cheese is melted (cut a slit to test), 15 to 20 minutes; if chilled, bake in a 325° oven until hot in the center, about 15 minutes.
- 5. Set burritos on plates and ladle about 1/2 cup hot chili con queso salsa on and around each. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note