Merlot Strawberries with Vanilla Cream
Notes: You can make the mascarpone cream up to 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Whisk briefly before serving. You can poach the strawberries up to 4 hours ahead; let stand at room temperature. Instead of mascarpone, you can top strawberries with whipped cream.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 319
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 24mg
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese (see notes)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 1/2 cups Merlot or other dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 cups sliced strawberries
- 1. Combine mascarpone, cream, and 2 tablespoons sugar; scrape seeds from vanilla bean into mixture (reserve pod). Beat with a mixer on low speed until soft peaks form. Cover and chill.
- 2. In a 4- to 6-quart pan over medium heat, frequently stir wine, lemon juice, remaining sugar, and vanilla bean pod until mixture is simmering, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in strawberries. Let cool about 1 hour.
- 3. Ladle strawberries and liquid into wineglasses or goblets (at least 8 oz.). Top with mascarpone cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note