This might be my favorite dessert. The chocolate mascarpone is amazing. I have made it twice, once with strawberries and once with raspberries. Both are wonderful. Next time I think I will make cookies smaller, but more of them. My only complaint is how delicate the meringue cookie is when spreading the mascarpone.
Meringues with Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Mascarpone
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 211
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 35.9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 28mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Chocolate Mascarpone:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups quartered small strawberries (about 1 1/2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 225°.
- To prepare meringues, cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 6 (4-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over; secure with masking tape. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not underbeat). Divide egg white mixture evenly among 6 drawn circles on baking sheet; spread to fill the circles using the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 225° for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven off; cool meringues in closed oven for 30 minutes. Carefully remove meringues from paper. Cool completely. (Meringues can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.)
- To prepare chocolate mascarpone, sift together 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and cocoa. Combine mascarpone, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl; stir just until combined. Stir in cocoa mixture.
- To prepare strawberries, toss berries with 1/4 cup sugar; let stand 15 minutes.
- Place 1 meringue on each of 6 plates; spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons mascarpone mixture on top of each meringue. Top each serving with about 1/2 cup strawberry mixture. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Meringues with Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Mascarpone Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts