- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or cocoa
- Combine first 5 ingredients; beat at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes).
- Spoon mixture into a decorating bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe 32 (1 1/4"-wide) mounds to resemble mushroom caps and 32 (1"-tall) columns to resemble stems onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 200° for 1 hour and 30 minutes; turn oven off. Let meringues stand in closed oven 2 hours.
- Spread a thin layer of melted chocolate on flat side of caps. Trim rounded end of stems to make flat; press against chocolate to attach stems to caps. Sprinkle caps lightly with cinnamon or cocoa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note