These crisp little meringues almost pass for real mushrooms--until you take a sweet crunchy bite.
This recipe goes with Bûche de Noël
Yield: 32 mushrooms
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 28
- Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 14mg
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- Combine first 5 ingredients; beat at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes).
- Spoon mixture into a decorating bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe 32 (1 1/4-inch-wide) mounds to resemble mushroom caps and 32 (1-inch-tall) columns to resemble stems onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 200° for 1 1/2 hours; turn oven off. Let meringues stand in closed oven 2 hours.
- Spread a thin layer of melted chocolate on flat side of caps. Trim rounded end of stems to make them flat; press stems against chocolate to attach them to caps. Sprinkle meringues lightly with cocoa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts