More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 59
- Calories from fat: 4.6%
- Protein: 0.9g
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 14mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 to 24 miniature semisweet chocolate chips or pieces semisweet chocolate
- 1. Line 2 baking sheets (each 14 by 17 in.) with cooking parchment, or butter sheets and dust with flour.
- 2. In a deep bowl, with a mixer at high speed, whip egg whites and cream of tartar to a thick foam. Continuing to beat, add sugar, 1 tablespoon every 30 seconds, then whip until meringue holds very stiff peaks.
- 3. Beat in vanilla. If using cooking parchment, smear a little meringue on the underside of each corner to make it stick to baking sheets.
- 4. Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip (or spoon into a gallon-size heavy plastic food bag, then cut off 1 corner to make a 1/2-inch-wide opening). Pipe meringue onto baking sheets into ghostly shapes about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, 2 to 4 inches wide, and 4 to 6 inches long, spacing about 2 inches apart. To make eyes (noses and mouths, if desired) press chocolate chips lightly into meringue.
- 5. Bake in a 200° oven until meringues begin to turn pale gold and are firm to touch, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours (1 to 1 1/4 hours in a convection oven); switch pan positions halfway through baking. Turn off heat and leave meringues in closed oven for 1 hour.
- 6. Slide a spatula under meringues to release.
- Nutritional analysis per ghost.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note